Teamsnap is a mobile and web-based platform providing powerful solutions for managing sport teams, clubs, and groups. Founded in 2009, Teamsnap simplifies group coordination for the over 15 million players, parents, and coaches using its software.
Frank Watervoort is the Chief Engineering Officer at Teamsnap, ensuring that the technology driving Teamsnap, including its email infrastructure, is costeffective, reliable, and scalable to meet the needs of the growing business.
We use email as our primary channel for coach-parent or player communication – game reminders, registration confirmations, messages from coaches, etc. It’s the center of our communication infrastructure, and it has to be reliable and real-time
Teamsnap has partnered with SendGrid for transactional email since they were a startup in 2009. They’ve grown incredibly since then both in size and sophistication, adding an average of nearly 200,000 new players each month.
With this aggressive growth curve, Frank and his team face a new set of challenges:
- Scaling infrastructure and maintaining deliverability through the rapid growth of Teamsnap’s user base and subscriber list.
- Balancing ease of use with platform security, with new measures for ensuring bad players are kept at bay.
Teamsnap’s secret weapon to addressing these challenges is having SendGrid’s experts in their corner. “SendGrid takes the hard work out of our hands, not just for delivering email, but also for working through the gnarly issues that come up running an email program.”
Teamsnap’s SendGrid Customer Success Manager (CSM) has helped Frank and his team ease the burden of managing their email program with:
- Ongoing account monitoring to oversee Teamsnap’s deliverability and proactively alert the team of any changes or issues.
- Regular business reviews to learn about Teamsnap’s strategic goals for customer communications and ensure their email program is optimized for growth and new mailstreams are properly integrated with SendGrid as they come up.
- Knowledge and best practice sharing about security, reputation, and other topics of interest to Teamsnap, as gleaned from observing the sending of SendGrid’s 78,000 paying customers of all sizes.
- Advocacy within SendGrid to ensure Teamsnap’s success. “From a product perspective, I know I can trust SendGrid to do the right thing for us,” says Frank.
With the partnership of SendGrid’s CSMs, Teamsnap has developed a strong email program with:
Most importantly, Frank and his team have peace of mind. “I feel like with SendGrid we have a closer partnership than anybody else we do business with from a technology service provider perspective. It’s that human touch. It shows,” says Frank.
The Bottom Line
SendGrid is a perfect match for Teamsnap because of its:
- Expertise. SendGrid is the only people-first email provider. We offer the world’s largest team of deliverability experts, with over 95 years combined experience.
- Reliability. Frank and his team can trust SendGrid to consistently get messages to their customer’s inboxes so they can focus on improving their product.
- Scalability. Sending over 45 billion emails monthly, SendGrid can seamlessly handle Teamsnap’s traffic so they can grow their business with confidence.
The support from SendGrid’s Customer Success Managers has been nothing short of fantastic. We’ve had great success working with them, and we don’t take that for granted. It’s a nice feeling to have an enterprise-class technology partner that you can lean on.