- Viewing a contact
- Editing a contact
- Managing your list
- Delete unusable contacts
- Delete a specific contact
- Delete all contacts
Managing contacts is an integral part of your marketing campaigns lifecycle. You can create lists for contacts, as well as view and edit each individual contact within your contact database
To view a specific contact profile, find the contact in one of your lists or segments by searching your contact database. Then click the contact’s email address. You will then be able to view the email, engagement data, profile information, custom fields, and list associations for this contact.
Searches are case agnostic but must be done using a whole email address that includes an “@” and any top-level domain like “.com” or “.io”.
To view any custom fields you have assigned to this contact, or to view any lists that you have added this contact to, you may flip through the tabs beneath the Contact Details. You may either view all custom fields at once, or you can filter them by the following types: “Text”, “Date”, and “Number”.
When you are viewing a contact, click any of the Edit buttons to edit the contact’s information within that section. This includes the SendGrid provided reserved fields, except email, any custom fields you’ve added for this contact, and any lists the contact is associated with.
To edit the associated lists for your contact:
- Select the Associated Lists tab.
- Enter or select the list you would like to use.
- Click Add.
Sending to a well-managed address list can drastically help improve your delivery. We have put together some simple steps and guidelines that will improve any senders list.
In your SendGrid Account there are different Suppressions lists.
Global Unsubscribes - Addresses on this list are opted out of all mailing Bounces - Addresses that have failed to deliver to the recipient’s inbox. Once an address has been added to this list, we do not attempt to deliver further messages to it, we will instead Drop them to protect your external reputation. Spam Reports - Addresses that have marked your mail as spam Blocks - Addresses that have blocked your mail temporarily, usually due to factors like a blacklisted IP address. You can attempt to resend to these addresses. Invalid - Addresses on this list are malformed and do not have a valid email address structure. (Ex. info.sendgrid.com, info@sendgridcom, info @ sendgrid.com)
Emails sent to addresses listed in the Bounce, invalid, Spam, and Unsubscribe list are automatically dropped by SendGrid. Feel free to remove these addresses from your lists to save money and time.
It is common to have contacts that result in a group unsubscribe, block, bounce, invalid email address, or spam report. Attempting to send email to these contacts can negatively impact your reputation since these contacts do not want to (and will not) receive your marketing emails.
To remove all of your unusable Marketing Campaigns contacts:
- When viewing your dashboard, navigate to the left-hand menu and click Suppressions.
- Open a specific group, such as Bounces or Spam Reports, click the action menu in the upper right corner, then select Download as CSV.
- Repeat step 2 for each of the groups that you want to remove (unsubscribes, spam reports, etc.) and merge each of those lists into a single CSV file.
- Return to your dashboard, navigate to the left-hand menu and select Marketing, then Contacts.
- In the upper right corner click Add Contacts and select Upload CSV.
- Select Create New List and name it something obvious, like “Remove Invalid Emails.”
- Once uploaded, click the action menu to the right of that new list and select Delete.
- Check the box indicating to delete “all contacts associated with this list.”
To remove one or more contacts from a list:
- Navigate to the contact you wish to modify and click the Action Menu.
- Click Remove From List. This option removes the contact from the list. To remove the contact completely, select delete.
To delete all of your contacts at once:
- Navigate to your Contacts page and hover over the Action Menu next to All Contacts.
- Click the trash can icon.
- Select the check box to confirm that you want to delete all contacts and then click Delete.