Founded in 2009, SendGrid is an industry-disrupting, cloud-based customer communication platform that solves the challenges of reliably delivering emails on behalf of our customers. We deliver over 33 billion emails a month for customers like Airbnb, Spotify, and Uber.
As a Principal Back End Software Engineer at SendGrid, you will be responsible for the infrastructure code that enables our customers to manage the delivery of billions of emails a month in a secure and scalable way. You will work on a small, versatile and passionate team, tackling new problems as we continue to push our technology forward. You will design, test, deploy and maintain software solutions that solve customers’ problems at-scale. You will have the opportunity to shape architectural solutions that enable us to achieve our goal of simplifying communication between businesses and their customers.
What You’ll Do
- Live by and champion our cultural values of Happy, Hungry, Honest, and Humble
- Advise the team on technical direction, design, and standards
- Collaborate with product and engineering management on timeline and implementation details
- Build and deploy, reliable full-stack web applications and services that support millions of requests per day
- Work in a dynamic team environment developing and maintaining a high-quality code base with short turnaround times
- Contribute to continuous improvement of software development best practices in the areas of tools, languages, development processes and APIs
- We're an agile, fast growing company and this job description isn't meant to be a complete list of your qualifications or all of the things you'll do
- BS, MS, PhD in Computer Science, related technical discipline, or relevant work experience
- Experience with developing, testing, deploying, troubleshooting, and optimizing large scale web applications
- At least 2 years of technical leadership experience and 9-12 years in software development
- Ability to coach and mentor less experienced engineers
- Great verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with relational databases and Linux
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Able to work well without supervision; sees commitments through to completion
- Ability to work and participate on a team in an open collaborative environment
- Emotionally Intelligent - Recognize their own, and other people's emotions, to discriminate between different feelings and label them appropriately, and to use this to guide thinking and behavior.
- Decisive - Uses a framework or process by which to make decisions. At times, will need to make decisions quickly and often with incomplete data.
- Persuasive - Bring others to their point of view using logic, data, and emotion. Have a formal process and framework by which to make qualitative and quantitative points, not just using emotional appeals.
- Accountable - Being willing to answer for the outcomes resulting from their own choices, behaviors, and actions. Take ownership of situations that they're involved in.
- Self Motivated - Motivated to do or achieve something because of one's own enthusiasm or interest, without needing pressure from others.
- Focused - Achieve what they set out to do before launching new initiatives. Complete company-linked goals and tasks, not simply to be busy and active.
- Collaborative - A keen ability to support cross-functional projects and decisions. Gets energized from working within a team and cross-functionally to achieve the company's goals.
- Experience implementing and troubleshooting multithreaded applications
- Experience in working with and developing for highly distributed environments
- Understanding of microservice, service oriented architectures, and messaging queues
SendGrid is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, genetic information, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.