Founded in 2009, SendGrid is an industry-disrupting, cloud-based customer communication platform that solves the challenges of reliably delivering emails on behalf of our customers. We deliver over 30 billion emails a month for customers like Airbnb, Spotify, and Uber.
SendGrid leverages software written both in-house and from the Open Source community running on a combination of physical hardware and virtualization (well over 1,000 systems) to execute on our goal of being the best large-scale email platform company in the market.
As a DevOps Engineering Intern at SendGrid, you will be exposed to a wide range of technologies that help us run our operations at-scale and will get the opportunity to help build code and/or systems to help support our operations. You will be working with an Operations organization that is passionate and have a diverse set of technical backgrounds and skills. During your time here at the 'Grid, you will build experience in developing high-quality, testable code in a DevOps environment, learning and experiencing the principles of Agile development, configuration/infrastructure management, and how to support a company and product at scale.
This is a paid internship beginning in the summer of 2017.
What You'll Do
- Live by and champion our cultural values of Happy, Hungry, Honest, and Humble
- Contribute to the development of internal tooling for infrastructure monitoring/management
- Write scalable, high-quality code with test coverage
- Learn, and practice, Agile development methodologies and project lifecycle model (Scrums, Kanban, etc)
- Collaborate with our DevOps team to gain new knowledge and experience
- Work with infrastructure/configuration management systems (Chef)
- Create and maintain technical documentation related to the projects that you work on
- We are an agile, fast-growing company and this job description is not meant to be a complete list of your qualifications or of all the things you will do
- Experience in the Ruby programming language
- You are able to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment that has a lot of moving parts
- You are a self-starter who works well both independently and within a team
- You have a passion for learning that drives you to work on/learn things you've never dealt with before
- Comfortable knowing when to ask the right questions to help get past roadblocks or to further your experience/knowledge
- You don't just learn how things work, you want to know why they work that way and how they can be improved
- Not only do you want to succeed, but you want those around you to do the same
- You don't believe in problems that can't be solved
- A great sense of humor
- Are familiar with the following technologies/areas:
- Domain Name System (DNS)
- SMTP protocol
- Linux system administration
- Shell scripting (bash)
- Accountable - Being willing to answer for the outcomes resulting from their own choices, behaviors, and actions. Take ownership of situations that they're involved in
- Self Motivated - Motivated to do or achieve something because of one's own enthusiasm or interest, without needing pressure from others
- Focused - Achieve what they set out to do before launching new initiatives. Complete company-linked goals and tasks, not simply to be busy and active
- Collaborative - A keen ability to support cross-functional projects and decisions. Gets energized from working within a team and cross-functionally to achieve the company's goals
SendGrid is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, genetic information, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status.Apply