Nextdoor is using today’s social media and communications technology to revive local community connections and bring people together. On Nextdoor, neighbors create private websites for their neighborhoods where they can ask questions, get to know one another, and exchange local advice and recommendations.
Since its inception a little more than three years ago, Nextdoor has seen incredible growth and adoption. Today, the company provides a communication platform to more than 69,000 communities in the US.
“We’ve seen communities alert members of lost pets, dangerous animals, or witnessed crimes. With our partnerships with local public agencies, police forces have come to depend on Nextdoor to get the word out about urgent safety issues. As it has become a go-to communication platform for these agencies, the ability to reach many members quickly–potentially an entire city–is critical.” – Alex Karweit
Originally, Nextdoor created an email solution in-house, and then moved to a small email provider. Unfortunately, both of these solutions presented a number of challenges:
- Numerous employees were responsible for keeping their email program afloat.
- Messages were constantly being delayed, going undelivered, or being sent multiple times.
- Issues and outages would arise without experts to help correct them.
In light of those challenges, Nextdoor re-evaluated what they wanted for their email program, and decided they needed a more reliable and scalable solution that didn’t require so much work from internal engineers.
SendGrid was already highly regarded internally, but after evaluating SendGrid capabilities, Nextdoor chose to move their email to SendGrid for a few different reasons:
- They’re no longer the biggest fish in the pond with a small email service provider. SendGrid has sent over 450 billion emails since its inception, so Nextdoor knows they’re not pushing the envelope of what SendGrid can do.
- Realizing they could go to their SendGrid Technical Account Manager, with any problems to help them out and get them back to moving email, Nextdoor realized SendGrid was the right fit.
- They could rely on SendGrid to deliver their email correctly, instead of having their engineers spend time managing it like they did with other companies. This allowed Nextdoor to focus on making their product better.
Today, Nextdoor has extremely high deliverability, high open rates, high clicks, and very low spam reports. SendGrid has been able to provide Nextdoor with:
- Deliverability rates that are consistently above above 99%.
- Faster delivery by cutting delivery latency by 95%.
- Reliable scalability that handles all the email they want to send.
- Less need for dedicated engineers–their email program went from requiring 4 full-time engineers to needing less than one.
Since moving to SendGrid, Nextdoor has seen aggressive growth. Not only have they more than doubled their customer base and email volume, they’re now sending millions of additional emails.
For other companies that are learning about email and what solution they should go with, Alex says “If you’re going to be sending a lot of email, you can be comfortable that SendGrid can handle the load. SendGrid works, and it works at scale.”
To learn more about how they scaled their email with SendGrid, read the full Nextdoor case study here.