Each year, SendGrid uses data from more than 50 billion emails from over 100,000 different senders to more than 2 billion different recipient addresses to create our Global Email Benchmark Report. We’re happy to announce that the 2018 report is now available to you!
This report is great for email program managers to use to create engagement benchmarks to compare your email program against and to set goals around beating those benchmarks.
In 2018, we’ve also made some enhancements to the report so that it’s more applicable than ever before:
- We’ve moved away from using “raw rates” including “raw open rate” and “raw click rate.” This means that rather than dividing the number of opens or clicks by the number of messages (the raw rate), we report the percentage of unique messages that were clicked or opened. In this way, we do not double-count multiple opens or clicks of the same message.
- SendGrid made changes to how we define industries and the senders within them based on the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS), the Standard Industrial Classification (SIC), and internal methodology. As a result, some industries have changed from previous years.
SendGrid was also able to compare industry-wide email engagement statistics to learn more about trends in how people open and interact with messages.
Industry-Wide Observations for 2018
The trend that we’ve seen in the past is that unique open rates have gone up, but unique click rates have gone down, which caused a drop in click-to-open rate last year. This year, we’re seeing that continue.
How to use this report
This report is ideal for anyone managing email at their company. Within it, you’ll find great information, including:
- Engagement benchmarks for the 17 different industries that send email through SendGrid, including retail, media and entertainment, telecommunications, software and Internet, and financial services.
- New delivery benchmarks like aggregate and median delivery rate and aggregate and median spam rates for each industry.
- Insight into the top three inboxes and their recipient share in the top 25 countries SendGrid delivers email to.
- What top 3 devices are being used to engage with email in the top 25 countries.
To learn more about the engagement benchmarks for your industry, and how this report can help you demonstrate your progress and value at your company, download SendGrid’s 2018 Global Email Benchmark Report today!