- An email welcome message confirms the email address. When acquiring new subscribers, maintaining good list hygiene is of utmost importance in maintaining high email delivery rates. By immediately triggering an email at the point of subscription, you can weed out any bad emails before permanently adding them to your file.
- An email welcome message confirms the subscriber. Inbox clutter is our worst enemy. Many people sign up for email and forget they even did it. By sending a welcome message, you can remind your subscriber of the action they took and what they will receive. This gives them a chance to reconsider and opt-out, or to accept the relationship and engage with you. It also helps weed out bots and other nefarious sources that could contaminate your file with bad addresses.
- An email welcome message reiterates your value proposition. Don’t just say welcome. Take this opportunity to showcase your brand and remind them of why they signed up in the first place. Start the dialogue by giving your new subscriber an action. They can view a tutorial, update their preferences, or start shopping with the promo code included in the message. Not to mention, welcome messages have high response rates so you can really use this opportunity to connect and engage with your users.
Here’s a great example of a welcome email done right, from REI.
REI’s Welcome Message
- Clear Subject Line: The subject line reads, “REI Welcomes You With 15% Off!” This does two things – 1) it confirms the subscription and 2) it provides an immediate incentive to open the email.
- Strong Messaging: REI makes it a point to mind their manners. They thank their subscriber three times and welcome them by showing their enthusiasm for the subscription.
- Strong Call to Action: Here, REI wants you update your email preferences so they can learn more about your interests and shop online. By providing a 15% off coupon, the subscriber is incentivized to start browsing the site and possibly make a purchase.
- Strategic Engagement: REI also adds select links to drive the customer into an action should they decide not to update their preferences at that time. Links to the outlet, deals page, and travel pages provide engagement avenues to get customers started.
- Beyond the Essentials: REI provides options to subscribe, unsubscribe, change your email address and to change your preferences making it easy for buyers to customize their experiences. They even provide you with ways to contact them directly and locate a nearby store.
REI has clearly put a lot of thought into their welcome message. Every link has a purpose – whether it’s to drive an action or to showcase their value proposition. They are also very transparent in their subscription process by letting you know that you can always cancel your subscription and how. (See below.) We love that they are confident in their brand and it shows in the creation of a well-dressed email welcome message.