Transactional email is booming: web applications are sending an average of 631,000 transactional emails per month. See more results from our recent survey.
Transcript of Infographic
Via SendGrid: Making transactional email easy for developers everywhere.
The Evolution of Transactional Email
1997: Transactional email emerged as an email category in the late 1990s as ecommerce retailers begain sending purchase receipts and shipping notifications via email.
2003: Transactional email was solidified as an email category in 2003, when the CAN-SPAM Act exempted ‘transactional or relationship messages’ from the rules and regulations of traditional marketing or commercial emails.
2012: Transactional email in 2012 includes any email triggered by a user’s interaction with a web application, including signups, password changes, check-ins, notifications, and friend of follower requests. These emails typically contain information a user wants or needs and have the highest open rates across all categories of email.
• On average, 45% of user actions within a web application trigger a transactional email.
• The average web application sends 631,000 transactional emails a month.
• 93% of web applications expect their transactional email volume to increase in the next year.
Percentage of Web Applications That Rank Transaction Email as “Important or Very Important” for:
• Customer Acquisition: 79.1%
• Customer Retention: 89.89%
• Marketing: 71.5%
Web Application User Actions Supported by Transactional Email
Percentage of web apps supporting:
• Signups / Subscriptions: 80.5%
• Purchase / Order / Shipping Confirmations: 49.8%
• Password Recovery / Changes: 76.5%
• Friend / Follower Requests & Confirmations: 28.0%
• Daily Deals / Offers: 19.1%
• Location-Based Check-ins: 4.1%
• Lead Distribution: 16.0%
Most Important Customer Communication Channels
As ranked by web applications
• Email: 77%
• Phone: 11.8%
• SMS / Text: 1.4%
• Chat / IM: 1%
• Other: 8.7%
Target Audience of Web Applications Surveyed
• Customers: 37.9%
• Businesses: 25.5%
• Both: 25.5%
Include this infographic on your blog and share with others. Just cut and paste the following code onto your blog:
<a href=”https://sendgrid.com/blog/the-hidden-world-of-transactional-email-infographic” target=”_blank”>
<img src=”https://live-wpgrid.pantheonsite.io/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/sendgrid_infographic_rnd2.png” alt=”The Hidden World of Transactional Email” width=”X″ height=”Y″>
<br /> Click to Enlarge<br /></a>
Via: <a href=”https://sendgrid.com” target=”_blank”>SendGrid</a>